Fall Fashion for the Extremely Lazy (i.e. Me)

10:20:00 AM

(Keep in mind - I bought most of this on sale because of the whole unemployment thing)

1. Pants that resemble pajamas in every way except that these are somehow acceptable to wear in public 

I still remember the magical moment three years ago in H&M when I discovered the perfect pair of pants. Made of a lightweight fabric with a fairly inoffensive pattern, they billow around my legs comfortably. Light enough to throw on at the end of summer when I didn't feel like shaving my legs, neutral enough to layer with for colder fall weather, these pants are more versatile than expected. They've traveled with me to three continents. They've been the perfect alternative for days I've wanted to wear sweatpants but also needed to leave the house. I've since bought another similar pair.

A photo posted by Rebecca (@rebeccaaleida) on
The first time I wore the pants, you can clearly see how happy they make me
I don't know how much longer these pants will be socially acceptable (or if they even are) so take advantage while you can.

2. Leggings 

I understand this is a somewhat controversial choice. One of the most important debates of our time is the question: Are leggings pants? The answer is of course they are. Or maybe the answer is who cares if they're pants, they're comfortable. Once you wear leggings, it is difficult to go back to wearing jeans. 

Leggings come in different patterns and different materials. There are warm leggings and fleece lined leggings for colder fall days, and cotton and nylon leggings for warmer days. The options are endless. 

A photo posted by Rebecca (@rebeccaaleida) on
Yes these are leggings with Dobby on them, please don't take fashion advice from me

3. Oversized knits

I recently read an article with fashion tips for short girls. At 5'3'' my wardrobe should at least somewhat resemble the short girl "do's" in the article, right? Wrong. Instead, I learned I was mostly choosing the unflattering "don't" option. These oversized sweaters are probably my biggest fashion faux pas. But I don't care and I'm recommending them anyway.

In the fall and winter, I live in these oversized knit sweaters. When they're long enough to cover my butt they might shorten the appearance of my legs but they're also perfect to wear with leggings. They are ridiculously comfortable but are still a step up, style wise, from a baggy sweatshirt.

Extra points for a turtleneck sweater that you can burrow into to protect from the wind or to protect from being recognized by the casual acquaintance you'd rather not make awkward small talk with.

Earbuds and a knit turtleneck are the perfect human repellent

4. Rompers/Jumpsuits 

With a one-piece like a romper or a jumpsuit I just need the one clothing item to complete my outfit. All I have to do is pull it on and I'll look like I've put a lot of effort into the outfit, when I'm really just avoiding figuring out which top looks best with which bottom. I like that rompers and jumpsuits provide a little more cover than a dress so I don't have to worry as much about the fall wind blowing up my skirt.

And okay, going to the bathroom is not great. I needed to use the bathroom once while wearing a romper and there were only porta potties for as far as the eye could see. It wasn't pretty. And sure, they might make me look like I'm wearing baby clothes. But I guess that, at least, is on brand.     

A photo posted by Rebecca (@rebeccaaleida) on

5. A chambray button down

Finally I have to include the most essential fall item in my wardrobe. This top goes with every other item on this list. I wear it with my most colorful leggings or non-pajama pajama pants. On cold days I like to layer it under a knit sweater. And I can tie it around the waist of a romper or a jumpsuit (like above) or wear it like a light jacket if it gets cold. It's always an easy choice and a easy choice is a perfect choice for my lazy, trash baby self. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. "To protect from being recognized by the casual acquaintance you'd rather not make awkward small talk with." So true!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Follow me on Instagram